Assignment writing is an integral part of every college curriculum. It doesn’t matter at what stage of academic you are; be it a graduate or an undergraduate, all have to make assignments and ensure their timely submission.
Nonetheless, there shall always be some of the other challenges students will face about their assignments. Few of us even discuss the same with our professors and peer groups to get the apt guidance.
If we look at the objectives of an assignment, they have a sole aim to ensure that students have cultivated an understanding of the subject. So it is a way to test the learning outcomes of the course. As already said, there are many challenges one amongst is writing an introduction.
Meaning of Introduction and their Importance
An introduction is that part of the assignment, which gives its reader a brief outlook of the whole topic. There can be no strict definition, and it may change from one requirement to another. The idea of providing an introduction is a popular way to create a reader’s interest in the topic. It is just like giving a few gimps as to what an author will be discussing in the later stage.
Looking at the importance, it goes without saying that any assignment without an introduction is incomplete. There can be instances that the main body of the assignment is so complex that one might not understand the framework entirely. In all such cases, the introduction becomes important because it gives the reader the needed base to understand things from an introductory level.
Another point of contention that could be raised here is the possibility of a question. So let’s say you are searching about the benefits of medicinal trees and you came across an article on Azadirachta Indica then, merely reading the introduction, you will get to know if the medicinal properties of the tree have been discussed or not. So you need not delve deeper into the article and decide its relevance.
How should you write an Introduction?
Writing an introduction is a technique that might change as per the requirement of the assignment. So the type of subject you have chosen plays a major role, so for instance, in an arts and humanities assignment, the way to introduce a topic might be different compared to the one used in management.
Below mentioned are a few strategies that are necessary to make an introduction easier.
- Before attempting an assignment, you should look at what the assignment is asking. If the assignment is in an interrogative format, your introduction should give a solution to that problem. At times when the assignment is one such that it entails the broad topics but is seeking the detailed perspective, so as a writer, one should imitate the same. This should be stated by giving a small glimpse of these topics and then ending on details. Just make sure your approach has been as simple as possible and must be imitated as per the needs of the Assignment question.
- Always try to insert your introduction so that you grab your reader’s attention. For instance, if you are writing about Black Hole, you can introduce the topic by saying, It’s the ‘Only Mystery Yet to Be Solved’. Likewise, the catchy opening might differ from the type of subject you are holding up.
- An introduction must be as generic as possible; this ensures that readers can easily understand the concept. So in case of an assignment based on sociology, like ‘Hobbs idea of Leviathan’, then instead of directly approaching the notion, you can state with an example of the rule of law and the common images of state or sovereign. This will give an imitated hint to your reader as to what the book might be about. The generic introduction makes it possible for the reader to understand complex things more easily.
- Try to make an introduction to feeling a connection with real life. This will be useful because readers get a better utility perspective, and they indirectly think that topic has some relevance. Remember, your professors are just humans, so they might feel the same when reading your assignment. So always make sure that you form that required level of connection.
- Never be afraid of innovation, and always try to innovate and build upon the existing version. So there is a possibility that while you write your introduction, you tend to realise that it is not that attractive, or you have written more abstract things in its observation. So in all such cases don’t worry, you don’t have to be scared. If needed, you may carry on with the main topic and then amend the introduction later on. But never give up on your imagination, and if it falls within the broad spectrum of the issue, then do write it.
- Focus more on the first line and try to make it most attractive because the first line will play a major role in what next move the reader will make. The art of writing something engrossing lies in a few steps of psychology, which dictates that always state with a query, give the solution and then end it on another query. The basic idea is that the first line of your introduction can be a catchphrase or someone’s quotation, or maybe a question. This will help your reader connect immediately with the quotation or the question and be more interested in reading your text further. However, as a note of caution, you should always use quotations or questions directly or indirectly related to the assignment topic.
- If possible, then, for once, at least try to write up your introduction after you have completed your entire assignment. I suggest this because, when one is making their assignment, they are still in the process of including new aspects of the topic. As an introduction is a brief of the entire assignment, if it was written at the end of the assignment, one will have a better understanding of what all readers will come across.
- Always be confident in your writing skill, and write a view as if you have a command over the subject, this gives not only confidence to you in writing the relevant content but shall give confidence to your reader. So in such cases, the chances of cross-checking become less. If you are pursuing higher studies in London, you can easily find online assignment help in the UK provided by experts.
Elements which must consist of an exceptional introduction
Some introductions look beautiful and systematic, while others are average, although the content was the same. What is it that makes an introduction better?
The answer is that there are key elements that a writer has to instil in their introduction to make sure it remains exceptional. These elements are as follows –
If you scrutinise closely, you might have seen a writer playing with words that are not in the knowledge of the common population. So if a reader, for instance, says your professor has to open a dictionary on severing the second word he reads, then, trust me, after two or three times, he won’t bother to read further and might even mark your average. So always try to keep it simple.
Needs of Assignment
The assignments given fall within the bounds of academics and have nothing to do with your writing skills. So always make sure you write logic and don’t fall prey to just language. Your introduction must cover the important content of your assignment all the time without any failure at all.
As another note of caution, make sure that you never explain because giving the same might overextend your introduction. Also, one just has to acquaint the reader with the topic.
Quantity vs Quality
It is a fact that the quality of the introductory passage shall play a major role to convince the other to go for initial reading but never forget the fact that that assignment is a kind of assessment that your professor will mark. Hence it is suggested that always follow the word limit, if in case a word limit is not given, then follow the 10% rule, which is that introduction and conclusion can be 10 % of the entire word limit, respectively.
Make Sure you See Instructions.
As said earlier and again, our aim in the case of assignments is not only to show off great introducing skills but also to focus on HD grades. So do check college instruction if there is anything recommended you must follow.
Read More: Interior Designers In Delhi Ncr
In the end, it can be said that a writer must give due regard to the above-noted points if they want to master the introduction portion of their assignment. Similarly, introductions are an essential part of the assignment that generally provides insight into the theme of the entire topic. It should be ensured that it is made after due diligence. Rest assured, if the above-provided direction is followed, then you might not face any challenge while creating an excellent introduction.